Fillings in East Los Angeles
Call Atlantic Children & Family Dentistry at 323-263-9600 for a consultation on options for fillings in East Los Angeles.
A filling is the most straightforward form of restoration for teeth damaged by tooth decay, poor oral health, or fractures. A filling repairs the cavities in your teeth and provides the structure needed for your tooth to function. Leaving a cavity alone in its early stages leads to more invasive dental treatments, so catching them before they worsen is best.
Fillings keep harmful bacteria from entering your tooth and decaying it further. Fillings also restore your ability to chew food without pain. Depending on the materials used, they usually last for about ten years, and maintaining them well with proper oral hygiene may improve their lifespan.
What Materials Do We Use for Fillings?
Dentists have used certain filling materials for decades, but we have a more extensive selection these days. Different materials are now available that provide structure and also look natural. Some of these materials are virtually indistinguishable from your natural teeth:
- Ceramic fillings: These contain high-quality dental porcelain and are very resistant to stains and wear. They also have a reasonably long lifespan.
- Glass ionomers: With these fillings, a glass cement bonds directly to the tooth’s surface for a tight seal. These fillings produce fluoride over time to strengthen and protect the tooth from further decay.
- Composite fillings: Also called “tooth-colored fillings,” these fillings are made of a resin and glass mixture that hardens when set.
- Silver fillings: Silver fillings, or amalgam fillings, have been the standard form of tooth restoration for a few decades. Though they may not be the prettiest, these fillings are solid, resilient, and exceptionally resistant to wear.
- Gold fillings: These are the most expensive filling and the least common. They are extremely strong and durable but stand out prominently in your smile.
What To Expect During a Dental Filling
When you come to our office needing fillings in East Los Angeles, we make the process easy.
- First, we numb the area where we plan to work.
- We remove the damaged or decayed portion of the tooth.
- We prepare the filling material if it needs any prep work.
- We apply adhesives to the area, along with filling materials, and shape it to match your teeth.
- We shine a bright, hand-held light into your mouth to help bond the filling.
Fusing Beauty and Functionality
If you struggle with sensitive teeth or have trouble chewing, you might be suffering from tooth decay. Fillings are an effective way to restore your teeth to working order. Whether you choose a natural-looking filling or more notable silver or gold, we make it beautiful and functional.
For dental work and fillings in East Los Angeles, call Atlantic Children & Family Dentistry at 323-263-9600 to schedule an appointment today!